A Step-by-Step Guide to Fee Waivers in Yakima

Court costs can easily become prohibitive. If filing fees or other court-related fees are too expensive for you, you can apply for a fee waiver. This can help with your fees for a dissolution (divorce), parentage case, or any other court fees that may arise during the course of litigation. This can be a huge help if you are operating on a limited budget.

Fee waivers are pretty straightforward. You can qualify for a fee-waiver if:

  • you have a household income at or below 125% of the poverty guidelines (from  $1,256.25 per month for a family of 1, through $4,304.16 per month for a family of 8 );
  • you have an income above 125% of the poverty guidelines but make a case that you cannot meet basic household living expenses if you must pay the fees; or
  • you receive benefits from one or more needs-based, means-tested assistance programs, such as TANF, SSI, or food stamps; or
  • you’ve qualified for free legal aid services. (/See/ GR 24_0500 Order re Waiver of Civil Fees and Surcharges.)

There are three documents you need to fill out and bring to court are: (click to download forms)

  1. Motion and Declaration for Waiver of Civil Fees and Surcharges . Here you move the court to waive fees under GR 34, and have space to write down additional information you believe the court should consider.
  2. Financial Statement . This worksheet is where you let the court know your income and expenses.
  3. Order Re Waiver of Civil Fees and Surcharges . This is the order the judge will sign when you present your motion for a fee waiver.

For more information / other resources, please see: